A House at the Bottom of a Lake by Josh Malerman

"Both seventeen. Both afraid. But both saying yes.

It sounded like the perfect first date: canoeing across a chain of lakes, sandwiches and beer in the cooler. But teenagers Amelia and James discover something below the water’s surface that changes their lives forever.

It’s got two stories.

It’s got a garden.

And the front door is open.

It’s a house at the bottom of a lake.

For the teens, there is only one rule: no questions. And yet, how could a place so spectacular come with no price tag? While the duo plays house beneath the waves, one reality remains:

Just because a house is empty, doesn’t mean nobody’s home."
  (goodreads)



This novella tells the love story of James and Amelia. From their first date they knew they had found something special- literally. While canoeing on a lake, James and Amelia discover a house underwater. They take turns going under and exploring the house and become obsessed with this secret house. But are they alone in the house at the bottom of the lake? The longer James and Amelia spend in their underwater house, the more afraid they become, afraid of what is down in the water with them.

I was so excited for this novella but ended up being a little disappointed in the ending. I felt it was so good, it kept my interest and watching James and Amelia's relationship grow with the fascination of the house. To be completely honest, I was more invested in the house than the relationship. I felt the whole story was developing towards something terrible happening in the house. By the time the creepiest started it was tired up too quickly. I felt it was a huge disappointment after the build up, I expected way more from the underwater climax. The ending also left me confused, it almost needed just a little more clarification before ending the novella.

This novella sounds like the summer adventure I've always wanted to have. 
Once you get past the awkward relationship and get into exploring the house, it's worth the read. I would recommend A House at the Bottom of the Lake, it's a short, magical, summer experience.

My Rating: 3/5 Stars



Comments

  1. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen