The Merciless IV Last Rites by Danielle Vega

"The fourth book of the scream-worthy cult series The Merciless combines Stephen King level terror with true crime stories like the Amanda Knox case."

"The ropes tighten on Berkley Hubbard's wrists. Blood drips down her fingers and lands with a smack on the cold floor of the church basement. She's trapped, bound, and petrified by fear. A knife punctures her fragile skin as Berkley's captors search for the mark of the devil on her body. They say they want to save her--drive the devil away and cleanse her soul--but will she make it out alive?

When Berkley arrived in Italy a week ago, the last thing she expected was that she'd end up fighting for her life. After spending six months at the Institute, confined to a room with the dangerous-yet-alluring Sofia Flores, Berkley was certain that a vacation in Italy with her two best friends would be the perfect getaway. But Berkley is hiding a terrible secret, one that threatens to undo everything. As she's forced to face her wicked past, she learns that the devil is always watching, and no one is coming to save her." (goodreads)

 
The Merciless

The Merciless II

The Merciless III


First, THE COVER.
Danielle Vega is known for writing scary books with beautiful covers, but this final cover for The Merciless book is probably the best one yet. As Vega describes it "the 90s cover of your gothic dreams". Also, IT IS VELVET.

This was hands down my favorite book in The Merciless series.
This book was actually so different than I expected. For some reason when I learned that Berkley was going to Italy, and knowing this is a story about possession, my mind immediately went to Rome. So, I definietly expected a Vatican exorcist. Unfotentuly that is not where this story went, but it was so much better!

There was a really cool and creepy history to the small city of Cambria, where Berkley and her friends were visiting. Berkley and her friends learned more about this history throughout the book and the story of Lucia. After recently being released from the institution, Berkley is struggling to feel normal around her friends and get a hold on her grip back to reality and freedom.

The majority of the story takes place with Berkley and her friends in Italy but there are several chapters from her time in the institution. Berkley gains Sofia Flores as her roommate and in the before chapters she shares some of their interactions. These chapters were so good because the last time we saw Sofia she was in a lot of trouble and appeared to let the devil fully possess her, as if she accepted it as her fate. Looking at Sofia from different eyes was so different, she felt so much creepier with how she spoke and not knowing what was going on inside her head.

I knew things would eventually go bad for Berkley but I never fully expected what happened. The Merciless IV definietly brought its top notch horror game and I absolutely loved it. Last Rites was without a doubt the most chilling and disturbing Merciless book. It was a brilliant book to end the series with, but after that twist in the end I definietly want more. 

I get asked if  The Merciless books need to be read in order, and even though technically no, and author Danielle Vega even says technically no, I always tell people who ask, yes. The Merciless can be read as a standalone, which I originally thought it was. However, if you read the first book and enjoy it I highly recommend reading the whole series. Since Sofia is the main character in The Merciless & The Merciless II and makes appearances in The Merciless IV, it is best to read all the books in order to fully understand her character. It will make a huge difference knowing her back history for the series and could very possibly determine your likeness of the series. Personally I feel if I had read Last Rites as a standalone I would feel as if I missed something huge during some big moments in that book. As for The Merciless III, technically it's a prequel to the series, and author Danielle Vega's favorite book in the series. So since it is a prequel it could be read first, however I think it is best again to read it third. There's a reason Vega wrote these books in the order she did. Information is key and you get important information at the right time. 

 Danielle Vega wrote the horror book I've always wanted to write with The Merciless IV. I'm so pleased with this finale, everything about it was extremely creepy and presented perfectly. I read this book in a few hours, it was impossible to put down, I was dying to know how Vega was going to bring a high level horror with devilish twists and bring the series to a close.

I highly recommend The Merciless Series, in numeral order, and I plan to have myself a full four book marathon sometime soon.

The Merciless Series:
B1: The Merciless
B2: The Merciless II: The Exorcism of Sofia Flores
B3: The Merciless III: Origins of Evil
B4: The Merciless IV: Last Rites

My Rating: 5/5 Stars



 
 

Comments

  1. Anonymous8/09/2018

    I just recently finished the series, and I absolutely loved it! I have one question/opinion. In the last Merciless book (Last Rites), in the epilogue it talks about the burial of Sophia. Who is it that is watching the burial though, besides the grandmother? It just described her as a dark hair woman who doesn't feel the cold?

    ReplyDelete
  2. is it the hard cover that is velvet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen