The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco

"Let me be clear: I never intended to raise my brother from his grave, though he may claim otherwise. If there's anything I've learned from him in the years since, it's that the dead hide truths as well as the living.

When Tea accidentally resurrects her brother from the dead, she learns she is different from the other witches in her family. Her gift for necromancy means that she's a bone witch, a title that makes her feared and ostracized by her community. But Tea finds solace and guidance with an older, wiser bone witch, who takes Tea and her brother to another land for training.

In her new home, Tea puts all her energy into becoming an asha-one who can wield elemental magic. But dark forces are approaching quickly, and in the face of danger, Tea will have to overcome her obstacles...and make a powerful choice." (goodreads)




The Bone Witch tells two stories; the past and present. In the past, Tea is 12/13 years old and has just learned she's a Bone Witch after she rises her brother from the dead. The present, the pov is from a traveler who is just meeting Tea, now 17 years old.

The synopsis of this book is what sparked my interest, despite the not great reviews on Goodreads. Necromancy isn't something that is wrote about very much and I desperately wanted to like this book, because it seemed like a perfect fantasy book with an added creepy aspect. Overall, I felt the book could have been better. I listened to the audiobook and still found it hard to pay attention too. I felt her story was a little boring, nothing exciting was happening for most of the book, which was nothing like I expected. I really liked the idea of Tea and her status as a Bone Witch, and I loved her name. I wanted more history and evolution from the world that Chupeco had created. I liked the idea of the Heart Forger too, based on the name of the second book I feel it will be more explored. I found myself really wanting the book to catch up to the present, because as I said, Tea's training to be a Bone Witch wasn't very exciting.

I was automatically drawn to the cover, which is gorgeous. The purple and gold is stunning, and I love the skull added. The cover for The Heart Forger is also beautiful.

The Bone Witch has been on my TBR for a while so I'm glad I finally got to it but I felt I had to rush through it. It felt like a chore to listen to and as soon as I started the book I knew I wasn't in the mood for a fantasy novel. I really think I will finish the series. When the last book of the series is out I plan to re-listen to The Bone Witch and listen to the rest of the series as well all together. I want to give it another chance, to pay proper attention to it, because I really think I could like this series so much more if I'm in the mood to appreciate it.
 
The Bone Witch Series:
B1: The Bone Witch
B2: The Heart Forger
B3: The Shadowglass
 
My Rating: 2/5 Stars
 


Comments

  1. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen