Delirium by Lauren Oliver

February18 book for Avalon Muggles Book Club 
Instagram: @avalonmuggles
 
"In an alternate United States, love has been declared a dangerous disease, and the government forces everyone who reaches eighteen to have a procedure called the Cure. Living with her aunt, uncle, and cousins in Portland, Maine, Lena Haloway is very much looking forward to being cured and living a safe, predictable life. She watched love destroy her mother and isn't about to make the same mistake.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena meets enigmatic Alex, a boy from the "Wilds" who lives under the government's radar. What will happen if they do the unthinkable and fall in love?" (goodreads
)

The dystopian world was definitely an interesting one; love is a disease. Lena's town in Portland was very strict and strange. The story however I just felt boring, it didn't fully keep my attention. I wasn't really invested in the characters and didn't overly care about the love story. If I had physically read this book I think it would have been a did not finish. I listened to the audiobook which was the sole reason I finished it. I loved the story being read by Sarah Drew, an actress who I'm familiar with from Grey's Anatomy.

The other thing about this book was I found it extremely predictable which again made it feel like a boring read. After finishing the book I knew my chances of completing the series was slime, even listening to the last two books. After what could be considered a cliff hanger ending I had predictions for where the series would go, and when I looked into it was right. Even after reading the details explanation of the second and third book it did not give me any more motivation to fully read or listen to them.

Even though I didn't like this book, it's because this isn't my kind of book. Delirium isn't a book that even sounded interesting to me so I wouldn't have picked it up on my own. Avalon Muggles Book Club, a local book club in my area with other close bookish friends all decided this would be a great February romance read, and it was. It was a great read for the themed month and one of the girl's who finished it before me really enjoyed it. Her, unlike me, likes romance books and it was a great book for her. That's how a book club is sometimes and that's why I like it because I did get to experience a book I normally wouldn't pick up on my own. Sometimes I end up finding amazing books because of this and even if not what I disliked about a book can add an interesting POV to a group discussion. This is why I dislike writing reviews for books I don't enjoy, because even though I gave it a low rating and didn't like the book much it's just because it wasn't what I usually enjoy reading.

So even though Delirium unfortunately wasn't for me I'm glad I gave it a chance. It's been a while since I read any kind of romance book and even longer since I read a dystopian novel.
 
Delirium Series:
B1: Delirium
B2: Pandemonium
B3: Requiem
Novella: Delirium Stories
 
My Rating: 2.5/5 Stars
 



Comments

  1. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen