Brain on Fire: My Month of Madness by Susannah Cahalan

"An award-winning memoir and instant New York Times bestseller that goes far beyond its riveting medical mystery, Brain on Fire is the powerful account of one woman’s struggle to recapture her identity.

When twenty-four-year-old Susannah Cahalan woke up alone in a hospital room, strapped to her bed and unable to move or speak, she had no memory of how she’d gotten there. Days earlier, she had been on the threshold of a new, adult life: at the beginning of her first serious relationship and a promising career at a major New York newspaper. Now she was labeled violent, psychotic, a flight risk. What happened?

In a swift and breathtaking narrative, Cahalan tells the astonishing true story of her descent into madness, her family’s inspiring faith in her, and the lifesaving diagnosis that nearly didn’t happen." (goodreads
)
 
This is an amazingly brave story about a girl who lost herself.

Susannah's writing has a way at telling her nightmare of a story in a way that kept my interest and did an amazing job of explaining the medical side of things in a simply way. It was cringe worthy, knowing just as well as her that something was wrong and that fear of how much possible damage being diagnosed by the wrong doctor could do. It was all alcohol and stress caused, it is a mental issue, so many mistakes for a disease that had not yet made its known way into the world yet. 

It started with slight memory loss. She escalated to seizures, foaming at the mouth and losing complete control of her body. While Susannah was losing her mind, those who were closest to her watched as the person they loved became someone else. How terrifying must it be to look back at videos and documents and see your body but it's not you.   

Susannah's story really inspired me and I look forward to reading her new book COMMITTED, which according to her twitter account is expected to release sometime in 2018. After finally being diagnosed, Susannah wondered how many patients are living in nursing homes and in psych wards, on medications, living with what she has, who have just been wrongly diagnosed. This was a topic she brought up in Brain on Fire, I am not sure if this is the idea around COMMITTED but I look forward to reading it either way.    

This is the story of a 24-year-old reporter whose brain was on fire.  
  
My Rating: 5/5 Stars
 


Comments

  1. Five weeks ago my boyfriend broke up with me. It all started when i went to summer camp i was trying to contact him but it was not going through. So when I came back from camp I saw him with a young lady kissing in his bed room, I was frustrated and it gave me a sleepless night. I thought he will come back to apologies but he didn't come for almost three week i was really hurt but i thank Dr.Azuka for all he did i met Dr.Azuka during my search at the internet i decided to contact him on his email dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com he brought my boyfriend back to me just within 48 hours i am really happy. 

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen