Wayfarer (Passengers #2) by Alexandra Bracken

* This review is for the second book in the Passengers series.
Therefore, this review will have spoilers from the first book.
Please read carefully. *
 
 
"All Etta Spencer wanted was to make her violin debut when she was thrust into a treacherous world where the struggle for power could alter history. After losing the one thing that would have allowed her to protect the Timeline, and the one person worth fighting for, Etta awakens alone in an unknown place and time, exposed to the threat of the two groups who would rather see her dead than succeed. When help arrives, it comes from the last person Etta ever expected—Julian Ironwood, the Grand Master’s heir who has long been presumed dead, and whose dangerous alliance with a man from Etta’s past could put them both at risk.

Meanwhile, Nicholas and Sophia are racing through time in order to locate Etta and the missing astrolabe with Ironwood travelers hot on their trail. They cross paths with a mercenary-for-hire, a cheeky girl named Li Min who quickly develops a flirtation with Sophia. But as the three of them attempt to evade their pursuers, Nicholas soon realizes that one of his companions may have ulterior motives.

As Etta and Nicholas fight to make their way back to one another, from Imperial Russia to the Vatican catacombs, time is rapidly shifting and changing into something unrecognizable… and might just run out on both of them." (goodreads)



I knew going into Wayfarer I would have the same main issue as I did with Passenger, the LONG chapters. I'm a slow reader, and this book has a lot going on; following different timelines, places and dates you really have to pay attention to this story. I found that these long chapters would cause me to get bored and I struggled to keep my interest. About halfway through Passenger I decided to listen to the audiobook and enjoyed the story so much more. So I decided to do the same for Wayfarer and listened to the audiobook to finish the series.

I really enjoyed this series. Wayfarer has lots of new timelines from the history we remember and lots of new places in time. I loved the chapters in Russia 1919 the most, finding it so enjoyable. I did favor the Etta/ Henry chapters over Nicholas/ Sophia chapters, but Sophia is a character I love to hate so she was what kept my interest most in that half. Also, get ready to be #TeamHenry since he is simply amazing and throw some shade at Rose.

I really loved Passenger, the story was just amazing and I loved the adventure, Etta knew where she was going and it felt like it had structure. I felt Wayfarer was more messy where both parties were jumping around in time, but I enjoyed Etta and Nicholas having separate stories. The thrill of them finding each other and their partners reuniting, I couldn't wait to find out how everything would conclude. I think that was a really cool addition to the story, Etta's timeline is not the real timeline.

Which timeline would prevail, the correct one, Etta's, a different timeline, or one favoring the Ironwoods?

Passenger Series
Book 1: Passenger
Book 2: Wayfarer
Short Story: Pathfinder (Target Edition of Wayfarer Only)
 
My Rating: 4/5 Stars
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen