Depression & Other Magic Tricks by Sabrina Benaim

"Depression & Other Magic Tricks is the debut book by Sabrina Benaim, one of the most-viewed performance poets of all time, whose poem "Explaining My Depression to My Mother" has become a cultural phenomenon with over 5,000,000 views.

Depression & Other Magic Tricks explores themes of mental health, love, and family. It is a documentation of struggle and triumph, a celebration of daily life and of living. Benaim's wit, empathy, and gift for language produce a work of endless wonder." (goodreads
)
 

Depression and Other Magic Tricks was a pretty enjoyable read. Mental health is something I struggle with on a daily basis and I related to some of these poems on such a personal level it really shook my emotions. Some of the poems in this collect however I felt not at all connected to and that's fine too, not every poem will speak directly to every person.

Sabrina has such a way of making the mess I feel in my head make more sense. She pulls such beauty out of a dark place and makes it more comfortable and familiar. I felt I got to know Sabrina as a person and related her experiences with mental health to my own. Her words made sense to my mess.

If you are someone who struggles with mental health and are looking for a connection, Sabrina's book makes you feel like you are not alone. The satisfying feeling that others can understand your mess even when you cannot understand it yourself. This made me feel for the first time that my mind isn't a scary place. I have struggled with depression, anxiety and EDNOS for years and this book was so raw and real, it felt good to be exposed.  
 
My Rating: 3/5 Stars
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen