The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

"Inspired by a true story of a child’s demonic possession in the 1940s, William Peter Blatty created an iconic novel that focuses on Regan, the eleven-year-old daughter of a movie actress residing in Washington, D.C. A small group of overwhelmed yet determined individuals must rescue Regan from her unspeakable fate, and the drama that ensues is gripping and unfailingly terrifying." (chapters)


I had watched The Exorcist movie a handful of times growing up, and felt since I watched it so reading the book would not be as enjoyable. I use to think there are just some things that would be more fun to watch on a screen then read and an exorcist was one of them. Man was I wrong, on both accounts.

It has been a few years since I last watched the movie so a lot of my details where hazy. After the death of author William Peter Blatty in early January of this year I decided this October/ Halloween season The Exorcist was going to be a top priority for me. 

The Exorcist was terrifying and amazing. I was totally absorbed in this book and it was a powerful experience. I was reading alone in as dark a room as I could make it while still being able to read. I saw shadows, I heard whispering and everything, including the contents of the novel had me totally spooked. It was an intense way to experience a scary book, said to be the most terrifying novel ever written.

I really had mixed feelings about Chris. She appeared to be such a snotty, rich, actress who used her stardom to her favor. However, I do have to admit she was one hundred totally dedicated to Regan and was such a protective and driven mama bear. She did show some affection towards her staff but also did not let them or anyone else forget they were staff, people employed by her, to work for her.

For me the heart of this novel was obviously Regan.
She was such a young, innocent kid who really just loved her mother and did not seem bothered by life. Even though her dad isn't really around anymore since the divorce, she never acknowledged it which was a little worrisome. I can only assume this is what led Regan to begin playing with the Ouija board, the start of the disaster that was the devil possession.

Burke Dennings. He was an horrible drunk and I never understood Chris' relationship with him. He was a director so the professional relationship could be justified but it was the personal friendship they had that bothered me. He was a horrible influence and I cannot believe Chris would allow him to come over to get drunk or show up drunk with Regan in the home. Regan even began to suspect something between them so clearly she was aware of her mother's relationship to the man was more than professional. I cannot say I was shocked or upset by he's fate in the novel, it added a more fun and suspenseful story line and was glad to have some distance from the character.

The Burke Dennings storyline was what brought the character Kinderman into the mess. Kinderman I believe to be a great detective but was distracted by Chris' stardom, which she noticed and played on. Kinderman is also in the sequel book Legion, which I look forward to soon reading.

Father Dyer and Damien Karras were interesting characters. I did not expect Chris to have to convince the church so much that the devil was actually possessing her daughter. And I know Karras technically belonged to the church but I still felt something between him and Chris.

Overall The Exorcist is a book every horror fan should have in their collection and if you have not read it I HIGHLY suggest you do. I labeled this book as boring and it was a huge mistake. The Exorcist is now one of my favorite books and I look forward to reading Legion.
 
 
 The Exorcist Series:
Book 1: The Exorcist
Book 2: Legion
 
My Rating: 5/5 Stars
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen