Spooky Book Tag (Written Version)

Spooky Book Tag was originally created on youtube by clever fox

 I've always wanted to do book tags but felt there were for youtube channels. So since it is Halloween and I didn't want to just do another recommendations post I decided who cares I am going to do a written version of a book tag, because videos just aren't my thing!

I hope this written version of a book tag goes over well because it was actually really fun and different to do and I already have another one in the works!



1. Bump in the Night
What is a book that has legitimately scared you while reading?
The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty

I started reading this book on a night shift and I was alone in a basement. There was just enough light for me to read and none of the other doors were closed all the way but almost closed with the lights on the other sides of the door on. I was flying through the book because it was so good and I started to get cold, so I got a blanket. I saw shadows going across the other side of the door, but when I went to look to find the source of the shadow, there was nothing there. I heard a quiet whispering although I didn't hear or understand what the whispering said but I was alone. It was a very creepy experience.


2. Jack-O'-Lanterns and Classic Costumes
A book you always reach for near Halloween time?
The Merciless by Danielle Vega

Any of my friends or coworkers at Chapters know that the first book I will recommend is The Merciless, we always have to have copies on hand at the store! Do not let the pretty pink cover fool you this book is dark and drips with blood. I've read it a few times over the years usually when I'm in a book slump because the story never seems to bore me, the evil within that book and those girls blows me away and the violence and murders take it to a whole other level. This is a very strong first book from Vega and as we go into 2018 and get the last book from this series I cannot wait to read the series over and get all the story at once instead of relying on my memory.
The Merciless is a book I always keep close during Halloween and suggest anyone interested in demon possession pick it up as well.
 

3. Black Cats & Magic Mirrors
A book your love that is laced with supersition and magic?
The Ravenous by Amy Lukavics  
 
Even though I knew the synopsis of this book I didn't expect magic in it at the same time, as little as there was. Magic was used to bring Rose Cane back from the dead, and it was believed that eating human flesh once would restore her back to her normal self. Expect it didn't quite happen like that and the Cane sisters, now abandoned by their mother, have to murder to help feed their sister to keep from "something very bad happening".
It's kind of a zombie book but not in the traditional way.
  

4. Witch's Brew
Favorite witch character in a book/series
Sabrina Spellman
Chilling Adventure of Sabrina Graphic Novel Series 

Sabrina Spelman has been my favorite witch for years from the animated series as a kid to the hit TV show staring Melissa Joan Hart. So when a Chapters coworker recommended I check out this new Sabrina graphic novel series I couldn't read it fast enough (and have been patiently awaiting the next volume!) Taking place in our beloved Greendale, Sabrina isn't known as the good witch we remember, instead in this story the Spellman's are Satan worshipers and are involved in some evil stuff. Bringing in characters everyone is familiar with such as Harvey Kinkle, Salem, her aunts and even maybe one or two people from over in Riverdale, Sabrina has some blood on her hands and someone even more dangerous tracking her down for revenge.
All I can say is this: Check. This. Out. NOW.


5. Haunted Graveyard
You are in a haunted graveyard and get one comfort book, what is it?
Heartless by Marissa Meyer

Heartless was a huge anticipated book for me in 2016 and I love a good Wonderland retelling. The Queen of Hearts is known to be an angry and feared woman in Wonderland and how she got to be that way has always been a mystery. There are a number of things that we know about her from Lewis Carroll's book and Meyer brought all of those traits into Katherine Pinkerton. In every retelling (book or movie) I've seen The Queen of Hearts and Red Queen are often confused and sometimes represented as one person and this retelling clearly shows the difference between the two characters, which is a huge deal for me. This is a comforting read in a world I am very familiar with and I have grown to love The Queen of Hearts and understand her pain a lot more.
 

6. Undead
What is your favourite supernatural creature to read about?

The usual answer to this question I found was zombies, witches, vampires and werewolves but for me the answer would have to be demon possession. This is not meant to insult anyone who believes demon possession to be real I just love reading stories with demon possession and until personally witness proof I believe demons to be supernatural creatures. Some of my favorite books and top rated books involve demon possession, I personally find them so entertaining and scary. 

Here are a few possession books I loved: 
 The Exorcist by William Peter Blatty
The Merciless Series by Danielle Vega
My Best Friend's Exorcism by Grady Hendrix 
Daughters Unto Devils by Amy Lukavics     


7. In the Dead of Night
Pick a book with black on the cover.
Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Any copy of Coraline I have seen has black on the cover, including the movie cover version which is the cover I own. Usually I don't care for movie covers but I originally saw the movie first, fell in love with it, and bought the book to read. Coraline holds a special place in my heart and I love revisiting both the book and the movie. Also, if you ever get a chance to listen to the audiobook I highly recommend it because it's fantastic and read by the author himself, Neil Gaiman which just adds that much more to the story.  


8. Trick or Treat?
Would you rather be tricked or have a treat?

As much as I love the horror genre, I'm a complete baby when it comes to scares. That being said, I will be the one to try to make you jump during a scary movie. I would prefer treat, I love some chocolate and even though I'm too old for trick or treating I'll just buy my own treats to eat while I watch some scary movies on Halloween.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen