Genuine Fraud by E. Lockhart

"The story of a young woman whose diabolical smarts are her ticket into a charmed life. But how many times can someone reinvent themselves? You be the judge.

Imogen is a runaway heiress, an orphan, a cook, and a cheat.
Jule is a fighter, a social chameleon, and an athlete.
An intense friendship. A disappearance. A murder, or maybe two.
A bad romance, or maybe three.
Blunt objects, disguises, blood, and chocolate. The American dream, superheroes, spies, and villains.
A girl who refuses to give people what they want from her.
A girl who refuses to be the person she once was."


The best part of E. Lockhart's book is there is never a lot of plot description. So I'm going to keep that in mind and try to express my opinion on Genuine Fraud without giving too much details about the plot.

The story seemed a little confusing the way it's told, but only at first. It took about halfway through the book to figure out what was going on. You start with Jule in the present, June 2017. When you get a sense of where she is the story moves in a backwards timeline till about June 2016. It's a really interesting way to tell the story backwards because you know things before they happen. You witness the aftermath and slowly work your way back to the events. And yet, there are still twists and shocking reveals.

Personally I don't know which character was more annoying. Jule is an unreliable narrator who only gives you her version of the truth, so you can never really trust what she says or her motives. Imogen is a spoiled little rich girl who thinks the world revolves around her and cares for no one but herself. This leads to a intense friendship and a whole lot of self destruction.

There isn't much else I want to say about this book without giving too much of the plot away. Unfortunately this book didn't live up to the standard that We Were Liars left me with, but that's just one opinion. I didn't hate it, I just didn't love it. I'm kind of left with I wanted to get to the end because it was an ok read but it also doesn't have me thinking about it after I closed it.

Just sit back and keep an open mind. Enjoy this highly anticipated new book from E. Lockhart.

My Rating: 3/5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen