Flame in the Mist by Renée Ahdieh

July book for Avalon Muggles Book Club
Instagram: @avalonmuggles

 "The only daughter of a prominent samurai, Mariko has always known she’d been raised for one purpose and one purpose only: to marry. Never mind her cunning, which rivals that of her twin brother, Kenshin, or her skills as an accomplished alchemist. Since Mariko was not born a boy, her fate was sealed the moment she drew her first breath.

So, at just seventeen years old, Mariko is sent to the imperial palace to meet her betrothed, a man she did not choose, for the very first time. But the journey is cut short when Mariko’s convoy is viciously attacked by the Black Clan, a dangerous group of bandits who’ve been hired to kill Mariko before she reaches the palace.

The lone survivor, Mariko narrowly escapes to the woods, where she plots her revenge. Dressed as a peasant boy, she sets out to infiltrate the Black Clan and hunt down those responsible for the target on her back. Once she’s within their ranks, though, Mariko finds for the first time she’s appreciated for her intellect and abilities. She even finds herself falling in love—a love that will force her to question everything she’s ever known about her family, her purpose, and her deepest desires." (goodreads)



Just before starting Flame, I had recently downloaded audible and actually listened to this book, which was read by Nancy Wu. I went into this book a little blind, I had read the synopsis a long time ago but all I could remember about it was that it was a Mulan Retelling.

I also had a lone of the book, which sometimes I would follow along with the audiobook. There were a lot of italic words I didn't know and found out early into the book there was a glossary in the back which ended up being SO helpful.

There are a lot of mysteries to this book.
How does the prologue fit into the story?
Who attacked Mariko and why?
What exactly does the Black Clan do?
And even a more questions I cannot add due to the spoilers. Flame in the Mist was a really exciting read and I felt as though I was holding my breath throughout the whole book.

My first impression of Mariko was not a great one. From her first few chapters I got the vibe that she was a spoiled little rich, privileged girl who just had everything done for her and handed to her. She came off as a bit of a brat, but this impression did not last too long of course. After the attack and Mariko was left for dead, she got an anger for revenge that drove her character in a fun and dangerous direction. She doesn't come off as the most confident character, but no one can say Maiko isn't brave. In a world where Mariko is seen as a bride to be sold for money, she got the chance to leave her old self for dead as well, and reinvented herself as a boy who wanted answers.

While among the Black Clan, Mariko begins to spin lie after lie as to who she is and where she came from, and not everyone believes her. This puts Mariko in a dangerous position, for if the Black Clan were to find out her true identify she would easily be killed. The feelings Mariko begins to feel for one of the higher ranked Black Clan members was odd at first, but I very much enjoyed where it went. It was hilarious to see Mariko develop these feelings and forget she was not suppose to act on them for she was disguised as a boy.

Much like Mariko, near the end of the novel I began to question everything. Her parents, her betrothed and his family as well. Mariko was placed in a very difficult situation at the end of the novel and I do believe she made the right decision to save the people she cares about. I am very interested to see how her decisions will develop the plot for the book two.

Loyalties will be tested, and the answers to the questions you've been waiting for might not be the answers you want.

I highly suggest Flame in the Mist to fantasy lovers and Mulan fans, of course. This book was incredible and I loved it so much more than I expected. I am now patiently waiting for the next one to know what happens to Mariko and the Black Clan.


Flame in the Mist Series:
Book 2: title to be announced

My Rating: 4.5/5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen