Josie & the Pussycats V1 by Marguerite Bennett, Cameron DeOrdio, Adurey Mok (Illustrations)

"READ THE LATEST, SUREFIRE TOP-OF-THE-CHARTS NEW RIVERDALE SERIES!
JOSIE AND THE PUSSYCATS VOL. 1 is the first collection of an all-new take onthe world's biggest comic book band. Marguerite Bennett (DC Comics' Bombshells, Marvel's A-Force) and co-writer Cameron DeOrdio team with Audrey Mok (Heroine Chic) to retell the origin and story behind the music for Josie, Valerie, and Melody.
Friends, countrymen, lend me your long tails and ears for hats--the Pussycats are back! In this series kick-off, Josie's getting the band together to help achieve her dreams of musical stardom. But for the group to last, it needs a strong foundation of friendship and trust. Can the girls get going, or will Alexandra Cabot's plotting put a stop to the whole thing? Don't miss comics' supreme songstresses' return to the limelight in this exciting first volume!" (goodreads)


If you are expecting this to be like the TV show Riverdale, you will be disappointed. This was not the reason I did not like the graphic novel, as you probably could assume from the cover. The girls are assumed to be in their early to mid twenties, since Josie and Melody live together in an apartment and have access to alcohol. I felt the introduction to the series was very rushed. In just a few pages we are introduced to Josie, then Melody at their apartment. Not long after they meet Valerie at a vet and decide on the spot to join a band, which they also name when asked on the spot. The characters were so rushly introduced that I didn't feel there was a lot of connection to them. I know it is a graphic novel and they do not have the time for full histories but I would have liked to see more growth and time to develop, I think it would have been worth the time and not felt so slopped together. I did not like that Melody was portrayed as the "Dumb Blonde", it is an insulting and boring stereotype. I would have liked to see so much more from her character than just the ditz blonde who is there to laugh at. Also, like I mentioned earlier, it is assumed that the girls are in their early to mid twenties, yet there was so much unnecessary high school drama. If Alexandra was going to be so mean, obsessive and petty, they should have had the girls set in high school. Although then it would have a
affected their time on the road..

Overall I really was excited for the series and feel so sad to have been disappointed. I hope the series gets better but I do not think I will be continuing on to find out, unfortunately.

Josie & the Pussycats Series:
Volume 1

My Rating: 2/5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen