In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

November17 book for Poison Apple Book Club
Instagram: @taleswithnicole
#poisonapplebookclub

"In a dark, dark wood

Nora hasn't seen Clare for ten years. Not since Nora walked out of school one day and never went back.

There was a dark, dark house

Until, out of the blue, an invitation to Clare’s hen do arrives. Is this a chance for Nora to finally put her past behind her?

And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room

But something goes wrong. Very wrong.

And in the dark, dark room....

Some things can’t stay secret for ever." (goodreads)



"Who pulls a gun at a bachelorette party!?"
In a Dark, Dark Wood had be hooked pretty quickly. I really loved the main character, Nora (or Lee to some people) and felt a connection to her. She is a mousey character who keeps to herself a lot, is a writer and constantly looks back at her past, which we get bits and pieces of through the story. When she is invited to her former high school best friend's hen she weights the decision but in the end decides to go with her friend Nina. Nina was an amazing character that really added to the story. She has absolutely no filter and says exactly what is on her mind. I loved that about her and even though it sometimes caused a little drama or conflict I think Nora and myself both wish we could be a little more like Nina that way. Clare, on the other hand not so much. Clare is that person that is popular and everyone is drawn to because she is so fabulous and makes you feel so special but it can also be tiring being her friend. In my own life I have had two friends like Clare, which like Nora are no longer in my life but if either reached out I would also struggle over that bond to reach out back. This is another reason why I loved Nora so much, I really understood her complicated friendship with Clare and felt for her. Three more of Clare's friends attended the hen and the party starts. There is booze, drugs, Never Have I Ever and some drama between the group but it's all just fun and games, right? Unfortunately no. Nora walks up in a hospital after an accident and cannot remember what happened. As she tries to piece the hen weekend together, she overhears police and nurses outside gossiping about the murder case. As Nora begins to panic, she struggles to remember what happened because the pressure is on to clear her name or face the demons that turned her into a murderer.
I have been having some trouble lately finding a mystery that really shocks me and this book finally did it. I was so into the story I couldn't stop and didn't give myself time to think about it and it lead to a surprising twisted ending. I really loved where the story went and feel it doesn't happen the way it did very often. I felt so bad for Nora but at the same time I couldn't trust her, or anyone.

I highly recommend this book if you are a fan of Gone Girl and Girl on the Train. Personally, it has been the best book from that genre I have ever read and I look forward to reading Ruth Ware's new book coming out this summer. 
(I have read Ruth Ware's The Women in Cabin 10, a review on that book will come soon).
 
 
My Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen