Horrorstör by Grady Hendrix

"Something strange is happening at the Orsk furniture superstore in Cleveland, Ohio. Every morning, employees arrive to find broken Kjerring bookshelves, shattered Glans water goblets, and smashed Liripip wardrobes. Sales are down, security cameras reveal nothing, and store managers are panicking.

To unravel the mystery, three employees volunteer to work a nine-hour dusk-till-dawn shift. In the dead of the night, they’ll patrol the empty showroom floor, investigate strange sights and sounds, and encounter horrors that defy the imagination.

A traditional haunted house story in a thoroughly contemporary setting, Horrorstör comes packaged in the form of a glossy mail order catalog, complete with product illustrations, a home delivery order form, and a map of Orsk’s labyrinthine showroom." (goodreads)



I want to start off by saying that Grady Hendrix books always catch my attention and are designed like nothing else I've ever seen. I've recommended this book purly based on the design layout and that it has been described to me as "the book version of Zombieland". This description led me to believe I was getting into a light humored, zombie book.. and maybe it is, maybe it isn't. You'll have to read to find out what is actually going on in Orsk.

The character's I found to be a little underdeveloped and annoying. I did not feel any kind of connection to these characters and found myself not really rooting for any particular person to make it out alive. It didn't seem to matter to me and that was a little disappointing. I found the characters making the same mistakes over and over and not using their brain to get ahead of the situations they were in. Amy, in particular, was so up and down with what she wanted for her life, her job at Orsk and her attitude that her flip flopping through the novel was a little exhausting and frustrating.

Another main issue I had was the author was bringing something not important up multiple times in the same paragraph. For example, the paragraph would start off my Amy describing Ruth Anne doing a puzzle under the table and not listening to the conversation, would go on with her thoughts and the paragraph would then come back to mentioned Ruth Anne and her under the table puzzle. Similar situations like this happened a number of times in the novel and it made for an awkward read. The information was not important to the plot or overall story, it just seemed like the author had a word count needed to be met. I've done similar writing styles on university papers.

I found Horrorstör to be a guilty pleasure read. Once the creepy horror stuff started to happen, I couldn't put it down, I had to find out what was going on with Orsk. The descriptions were amazing and left me with chills. This is a easy read and something you will get through very quickly.

I would recommend reading Horrorstör, despite my few issues with the book I actually enjoyed the trill of it very much. I also cannot help wonder if there will ever possibly be a sequel...
 
 
My Rating: 3/5 Stars
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen