Th1rteen R3asons Why by Jay Asher

"Everything affects everything."

"You can't stop the future.
You can't rewind the past.
The only way to learn the secret . . . is to press play.
Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker--his classmate and crush--who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah's voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out why.

Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah's pain, and as he follows Hannah's recorded words throughout his town, what he discovers changes his life forever."   (goodreads)



13 Reasons Why is one of my favorite books ever and it is very special to me. I first read it 9 years ago, not long after the paperback was first released, I wasn't a big reader at the time but it was the first book I ever read in one sitting and I cried, a lot. This is an emotional read. It is my best friend, Jasmine's, most favorite book and we have built an incredible friendship over our shared love for it. 13 Reasons Why is a YA book everyone should read, (jr) high school students, parents, teachers, friends, everyone should experience Hannah's story.

I loved hearing Hannah's story alongside Clay's. When you first get the tapes and learn that if you are listening, you are one of the 13 reasons your heart literally breaks. Clay had a crush on Hannah as long as he knew her and you can experience the anxiety firsthand as each tape starts, worried that Clay will be next and wonder what he could have done to add to Hannah's pain. Hannah's story starts what most high school students experience, rumors and bullying. But she explains how this was a snowball affect and once it starts to roll downhill and pick up speed, it is impossible to stop. People do not realize how their actions and words truly affect other people, and you never know what a person is going through. Your small action can pile onto something bigger and cause a negative reaction. No one person shaped Hannah's life, and she doesn't place blame on one person. Hannah just wants to explain how each negative action lead to the next until she couldn't do it anymore, and what's worst was it could all have been avoid if people were just nicer to each other. Hannah knows she isn't perfect, she has her own secrets too. There are two confessions mixed into the tapes where Hannah explains that she also affected peoples lives in a negative way. They build on her story and she both apologizes and releases the guilt she has. What started Hannah's story as a small rumor tumbles into the painful last two stories. That is what makes this book so important, this could be anyones story, and we cannot let that happen. There is already enough darkness in the world, we shouldn't add to it. No one ever takes notice until something tragic happens, until it's too late. You have no idea how you can affect a persons day, so try to always make it a positive one.

December 2017 the 10th anniversary was released, with the new cover that I have pictured below. It includes an introduction from Jay Asher, deleted scenes, the original (alternate) ending and more. The introduction reflects on the last 10 years and how 13 Reasons Why started. I reread 13 Reasons Why to refresh myself for the Netflix series and reading Asher's introduction got my a little misty, it was truly beautiful and honest. The original alternative ending took me by surprise, Penguin Random House had posted the alternative ending on their instagram page when the book was released. I was honestly so shocked and at first I was a little upset, it seemed to mess up the vibe of the book but after thinking on it and rereading the story and then the other ending I was okay with it. In the alternate ending I think it will change Clay's life in a very different way. I wish I could know how Clay is doing sometime after the tapes, how his life has changed. 

I have been looking forward to this (Netflix) series for so long that I cannot believe it is finally here. How will it end!? How will Hannah's story stay the same and how will it change? Putting faces to the characters I have known for almost a decade makes my heart swell.

Thank you Jay Asher for this book, it has changed my life, thank you Selena Gomez, the actors and anyone else who made this possible.


If anyone needs someone to talk to, about anything at all or if life gets just a little too much to handle please feel free to message me. I am no stranger to mental illness and know how much we need each other, reaching out can be the bravest move you can make. If you need someone, I'll Listen.
email: nmshears2@gmail.com
twitter: nmshears
instagram: taleswithnicole


13 Stories, 13 Tapes.

Hannah Baker's Tapes


13 Reasons Why Trailer


My Rating: 5/5 Stars

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen