Survivors' Club: The Complete Series by Lauren Beukes

Survivors' Club: The Complete Series
by Lauren Beukes, Dale Halverson, Ryan Kelly, Iñaki, Miranda,
Mark Farmer, Eva de la Cruz, Clem Robins, Bill Sienkiewicz
 
"One was possessed by a poltergeist.
Another trapped in a haunted house.
A third had a killer doll.
Ever wonder what happened to these children of the 1980s?
 
Having found each other over the internet, six grown-up survivors are drawn together by the horrors they experienced in 1987 when a rash of occult events occurred around the world- with fatal results.
Now, there are indications that it may all be happening all over again. It is possible that these six aren't just survivors- but were chosen for their fates?"
 
- taken from the back cover


Being a huge horror fan, when I found out about Survivor's Club I knew it would be something I had to read. I personally have not read anything by Lauren Beukes, but I have only heard good things.
First, I want to say how amazing the artwork in Survivor's Club is. It really was beautifully done and oh yes it did get bloody. As for the story, it didn't pull me in like I expected it too. I found myself getting easily confused as it jumped around and felt it was a little all over the place. Survivors' Club has such a good story idea and the characters were great, I especially loved learning their origin monster stories. Yet, it was not something that could hold my interest long and was constantly putting it down for breaks and to gather my thoughts on what was going on in the story. It started to pick up for me over halfway through the story, once I understood everyone's background information. The ending, however, also did not deliver. It felt rushed, slapped together, and unresolved.

Survivors' Club could have been an amazing read if the story alone was better explained and not so rushed. The last page left me with the feeling "What!? How is this POSSIBLY the end of the series!?" it could have ended with more closure. 

I have heard rumors that the series was cancelled and the writers were left to quickly bring it to an end, which might explain the ending. It did feel like they were setting up a huge story to get into which I do believe is why things took so long to get started just to fall flat. This would also explain the unresolved feeling. Maybe in the future it's something the writers will come back to, which I hope they do.

Even with my mixed feelings about how the story was presented I still did really love the story idea and the characters. It is still something I would recommend to horror fans to experience.


 
My Rating: 2.5/5 Stars
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen