Chilling Adventures of Sabrine Volume 1: The Crucible by Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa & Robert Hack

"On the eve of her sixteenth birthday, young sorceress Sabrina Spellman finds herself at a crossroads, forced to choose between an unearthly destiny and her own mortal boyfriend, Harvey. But Madam Satan, a deadly foe from her family's past, has arrived in Greendale, and she has her sights set squarely on the young witch. Can Sabrina face the challenge, or will her witching career- and high school life- end all too abruptly?"
- taken from the back cover


All I knew going into this Sabina graphic novel was that it was horror themed and it's also done by the creators of Archie. Personally I'm not a huge Archie fan, not because I don't like it I just haven't really read any comics, although I did watch the TV show when I was younger. I also used to watch Sabrina the Teenage Witch when I was younger, both the one starring Melissa Joan Hart, and the animated version. I've been a fan of Sabrina Spellman for a long time and this graphic novel was like seeing a new side of the witching world, and it was dark, bloody, and sadistic. In this Sabrina world, witches worship Satan and have some very dark origins to them. I especially loved how we got a fantastic prologue explaining Sabrina's history, something she herself is unaware of yet. This is a very interesting and awesome take on The Spellmans, where they seem almost evil but tend to mine their own business, until something interferes with Sabrina's sixteenth birthday party. The characters in this were fantastic and I loved seeing ones I recognized like Salem, Harvey Kinkle, Helda and Zelda. What also made it more enjoyable was the unexpected crossover from Riverdale and the important role Betty and Veronica play in this. It was all done so well I loved experiencing this and cannot wait for the next issue and that jaw dropping ending. Madam Satan has some horrible things up her sleeve for Sabrina, and it's only going to get worse before it gets better, if it gets better. Like I said, this graphic novel is dark, I can't predict what is going to happen but doesn't seem like the kind of story to have a picture perfect happy ending.


I highly recommend Chilling Adventures of Sabrina to any Sabrina Spellman, Archie or even just horror fans. This is a graphic novel that will keep you up late reading and leave you dying for more.

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina Series:
Volume 2

My Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen