The Haunting of Sunshine Girl by Paige McKenzie with Alyssa Sheinmel


Based on the YouTube series "The Haunting of Sunshine Girl" by Paige McKenzie

 
 
When Sunshine's adopted mother, Katharine, gets a new job as head Nurse, they move from sunny Austin, Texas to rainy Ridgemont, Washington. As Sunshine feels the distance between her best friend, Ashley and the only life she's ever known, she gets a cold, creepy feeling from her new house. Creepy isn't even the word to properly describe the freezing temperatures she constantly feels and the overpowering smell of mildew. Sunshine starts to notice things are not where she left them, and hears whispers and laugher throughout the house that no one else hears. It's not too long till Sunshine realizes she has a ghost on her hands, and it's affecting her mother in a very negative way. With the help from her friend Nolan, Sunshine learns she has a deadline to save Katherine, or suffer a terrible fate.
 
I loved this book. Anything creepy/scary, haunting, ghost related is what I live for. I originally was interested in watching the YouTube series but decided to read the book first. I really enjoyed the old soul and simpleness of Sunshine's character, and relationship she has with her mother, Katherine, is so special. I wasn't much of a fan of her best friend Ashley, but their friendship was, as expected, affected due to distance and lack of their common interests. I enjoyed the friendship Nolan and Sunshine have, I like that he believed in her so much and is such a supportive friend. The storyline was original, as far as I'm aware, and I found the direction it went so interesting. I love to read these types of books when I'm home alone, by candlelight for dramatic effect. I personally feel there's something special about a book when it scares you, it's different than getting scared from a movie, and a few times I jumped from a crack in the floor because I already was on edge from a creepy part in the story. This book ended on a good note, not necessarily a cliffhanger, but I am definitely excited for the next book to come out! I recommend this book if you like ghost stories, and I hope Sunshine's story continues on.
 
Book 2: The Awakening of Sunshine Girl
Book 3: The Sacrifice of Sunshine Girl
 
My Rating: 4.5/5 Stars
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen