The Grownup by Gillian Flynn

 
An unknown female tells her story of how her life as a con artist quickly turned into something sinister. When Susan Burke visits her at work seeking help about a potential haunting, our protagonist believes this project will be like taking candy from a rich baby. But as she enters the women's house and witnesses what is happening, she has to make the decision to walk away or risk her life. What's happening is real, and not everything is as it seems.
Do you believe in ghosts?
 
This short story is the first of Gillian Flynn's work I've read and I have to said it was definitely interesting. The unnamed female's lifestyle was unexpected, and it was hard to connect with a character when there was no name or description of them self given. I found it a little strange at the beginning but as I pushed through it picked up very quickly and kept my interest. It gave me goosebumps. As soon as I thought I had the storyline figured out, Flynn was constantly throwing me for a loop. I really love when an author can do that. The ending was alright, but I personally like closure. It was left a little open ended where I guess the reader can imagine what really happened but I like to know. I want to know what endgame the author had planned for the characters and I felt I didn't get that. Overall, it was a good, quick read. I look forward to reading more of Flynn's work.
 
My Rating: 3.5/5
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen