Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

Riggs uses a combination of peculiar photographs to help shape his story. It is definitely a creative personal touch.
 
After the death of his grandfather, grieving Jacob Portman pieces together parts of his life and develops questions about his grandfather's mysterious childhood. The answers to his questions are located at an orphanage on a small, isolated island. The island is a strange place with secrets the towns people refuse to share. As Jacob makes his ways to the orphanage to meet Miss Peregrine, he somehow gets tangled up in the peculiar children who live there and the dangers they hide.
 
Even after reading my own description of the book, I find the plot sounding intriguing. I was so excited for this, unfortunately I found it overwhelmingly boring. I kept waiting for the novel to pick up and get thrilling, it had so much potential, I have no idea what happened. I could not connect with the main character, Jacob, and found him to be a little exhausting and felt he didn't grow as a character. Each time something important or exciting was happening, it dragged on for so long it just killed the momentum. I tried so hard to finish it but stopped two chapters from the end and googled the conclusion online. (The chapters are painfully long). I sadly do not think I will finish reading the series. I will however be watching to see how Tim Burton turns this into a movie, as I said it has potential.
 
Book Two: Hollow City
Book Three: Library of Souls
Prequel: Tales of the Peculiar

My Rating: 2/5 Stars
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen