Asylum by Madeleine Roux

Roux uses a lot of old photographs to help explain her story.
These pictures really help bring out the creepy setting in the asylum.
 
Sixteen year old Dan Crawford arrives at New Hampshire for his summer vacation to attend College Prep school classes. Nervously excited to start the program and meet new friends, Dan is taken back after learning the dorms they are staying in used to be an old asylum. Dan and his new friends, Abby and Jordan, decide to investigate the history of the asylum but have no idea what they are on the verge of revealing. As other students begin getting attacked, Dan and his friends must uncover the truth about this place, and the connections they have to it, before more people get hurt or the program gets shut down for good.
 
I was a little nervous to read this book because I had heard very mixed reviews on it, mostly from goodreads. I have to say though I'm glad I got the chance to read it, I really enjoyed it. It was a horrifying October month read and it got intensely creepy when they got on the subject of lobotomies. I loved Dan as a character and felt his worrying and anxiety was so much like me it made me connect with him more than any other character. Abby and Jordan had strong personalities and I really enjoyed learning about them, although I wish I had gotten a little more from Jordan. These three friends are fabulous together, the perfect trio. I would recommend this to others and I will definitely continue on with the series.
 
Book 2: Sanctum
Book 3: Catacomb
Novella: The Asylum Novellas
Prequel: Escape from Asylum

My Rating: 4/5 Stars
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Spoiler Review: We Can Be Mended

Spoiler Review: Final Girls by Riley Sager

Wonderland: The Queen of Hearts vs. Red Queen